Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Malcom X

Finally, we’ll listen to Malcolm X’s speech Ballot or the Bullet and analyze it according to logos, pathos, and ethos. For homework, write a 500 word blog post that examines at least 2-3 incidents of each.

Malcom X uses logical reasoning to convince his listeners that he is a reasonable person. "’m a Muslim minister. The same as they are Christian Ministers, I’m a Muslim minister. And I don’t believe in fighting today in any one front, but on all fronts. In fact, I’m a "Black Nationalist Freedom Fighter." Islam is my religion, but I believe my religion is my personal business. It governs my personal life, my personal morals. And my religious philosophy is personal between me and the God in whom I believe; just as the religious philosophy of these others is between them and the God in whom they believe." Malcom X is using ethos to show that he is a logical fighter just like the Christian ministers he mentioned in above paragraphs.
Malcom X also appeals to anger of other black people by using the threatening style to show the white leaders that 'their glory days are over.' "By the same token, the time when that same white man, knowing that your eyes are too far open, can send another negro into the community and get you and me to support him so he can use him to lead us astray -- those days are long gone too." He is threating the white leaders that their days of controlling the black people are over. What the white political leaders were doing angered teh black people as well, which is why he is appealing to their anger. He also appeals to anger by stating, "So we’re trapped, trapped, double-trapped, triple-trapped. Anywhere we go we find that we’re trapped. " he uses a paragraph long explaination of the suffereing and pains that the black people face in Harlem, and elsewhere!
He uses logic to also say, "'Cause if you're black you should be thinking black, and if you are black and you not thinking black at this late date, well I’m sorry for you." This shows his reasoning and logic behind his own philosophy to life and religion. He is very blatent and bold about what he says.

No comments: