Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Women's Brains

After reading the article about women's brains I almost wanted to go perform a masectomy. It is incredible how pig headed these male "scientists" could be. The only convincing point made to me was that the male ego was (is) too large. The "evidence" is way too vague to be considered credible They come up with information and then jump to a conclusion without drawing rational connections or considering the posiblity of other probable explanations.
I think the author does an ok job of keeping his/her own biasis out of the piece, but they could definitely do a better job. The beginning was more confusing and i had troule distinguishing the author's views from the views of Broca. As the piece continued, however, the author began to distinguish their ideas from the ideas of the scientists they were quoting. "I have reexamined Broca’s data, the basis for all this derivative pronouncement, and I find his numbers sound but his interpretation ill-founded, to say the least. " Here, halfway through the piece at paragraph 15, the author says that he/she don't agree with Broca's interpretation. This is the first instance I saw of the author's opinion disagreeing with Broca's opinion(s).
My reaction to the piece ccan be summed up in the word 'disgusted.' I supposed it's not that suprising how extreme teh male scientists views were on the "inferiority" of women since they lived in a different time, but I still felt the same gut-wrenching fury at their behavior. This type of research and personal bias interpretation in science would not stand today and I'm glad. It gives me reassurance in the progression of society.

No comments: