Tuesday, October 16, 2007

technology and science

I love science. I am a total science nerd and love discovering new things about the world around us. When i grow up i am lookig to go into a sicnece field. This does not mean, however, that I feel everyone should think and act like a scientist. If we had a world full of scientists it would be pretty boring because there would be nothing new left to discover, everything would have already been done. Science helps those without scientific skill learn about the world around us. If everyone were to be involved in science there would be nothing and no one left to teach defeating teh purpose.
I don't know if there is a "best way" to look at the world. I think everyone needs to find what's right for them. Looking at the world in a scientific manner is what works for me but I know it doesn't work for my friend who is an english junkie. She does't understand things the way I do and that's fine. We are different and it makes our friendship more interesting. It's not really fair to say that the scientific method is the best way to look at the world. Just because it works for one person doesn't mean it will work for the majority.
Now technology is different. We have a very love-hate relationship. I love the conveniences technological gadgets provide, yet i hate it when they break down and don't hold up to my view of their "immortality." For example, I love having a cell phone and it's practically glued to my hand at all times. I cannot imagine what people did 20 years ago. But, when it breaks it seems as if my world is ending. How do I get a hold of people? How am I going to knwo when someone want's to talk to me? What happens is that cute boy I gave my number to tries to call? My head nearly explodes under the stress. So on that note, yes I do wish I could change my relationship status with technology. I would like he/she/it to stop leaving me and to stay with me forever. I am very needy when it comes to technology.

No comments: